Doug Stanhope quotes
Word of Mouth
- If you really believe that death leads to eternal bliss, then why are you wearing a seatbelt?
- I had a girl say this to me. She goes “you know, if god intended women to suck dick, he’d made cum taste like chocolate” I said “Yeah, but he had to make it taste like bleach so you remember to do the laundry”
Something to Take the Edge Off
- Are there any vice cops in here? You dicks. How do you do that for a living? I don’t understand. I first read these stories and I think “Don’t you have real crime to fight somewhere?” But then you think about it vice cops don’t fight real crime; that’s not their job. Real cops fight real crime. A vice cop’s only job is to fuck up the party.
- I hate when your friends quit drinking on you, don’t you? It’s sad. I’ve lost more friends to AA than Liberace did to the HIV. It’s sad to see ‘em go. You see a thirty day chip on your buddy’s key ring, it’s like seeing a toe tag on his cold, stiff corpse.
- Life is like animal porn, it’s not for everyone.
- Suicide is another thing that’s so frowned upon in this society, but honestly, life isn’t for everybody. It really isn’t. It’s sad when kids kill themselves ’cause they didn’t really give it a chance, but life is like a movie: if you’ve sat through more than half of it and it sucked every second so far, it probably isn’t gonna get great right at the very end for you and make it all worthwhile. No one should blame you for walking out early.
- Babies are like poems. They’re beautiful to their creator, but to other people they’re silly and fucking irritating.
- I couldn’t be a responsible enough parent if my kid was born with a new suit and a full-time job.
- It’s thirty days since the terrorist act. George Bush has told us to go back to our normal lives and to go back to what we used to do, so I’ve gone back to thinking that George Bush is a soft-headed tit and a danger to all of us.
- Does anyone get upset that George Bush keeps quoting the bible in all his fucking speeches? Does that get on anyone’s last nerve? Does it ever occur to him that it’s all those stupid fucking religions that start all this shit in the first place. National day of prayer? Fuck you! You think you’re doing something? You’re not. You can sit at home and cry jinx and keep your fingers crossed too; it does as much good. You wanna pray? Pray all day. Pray on your own time. You wanna help, grab a shovel and start digging there, pinwheel, ’cause it looks like your god takes Tuesdays off.
- The problem with this country is that old fucks vote. We got shit to do, old folks don’t, the only thing they have to do is judge you and vote.
- If you’re gonna have a pro-drug argument, start the argument where it starts: I have the right to do what ever the hell I want to my own body, if it kills me slowly, happy for me, fuck you, “clack clack” (miming a pump-action shotgun) stop me!
- All illegal narcotics are medicinal. Boredom is a disease worse than cancer. Drugs cure it, with little or no side effects if used as directed. Life’s temporary for a reason, it gets boring after awhile. You should be inventing new drugs is what you should be doing! Newer, crazier drugs… and more holes, that’s what you ladies need!
- There’s only two types of people who are against drugs: the people who have never done drugs and the people who really sucked at doing drugs.
- Complaining that a comic is drunk is like going to a titty bar and complaining because your lapdancer is a communist.
- With all the horrible, horrible shit that your priest is pumping into your kid’s head, his dick should be the least of your worries, honestly. That’s just a little mouthwash and a few years of therapy’ll get rid of that. That Jesus shit will torture you for a lifetime.
- If marriage didn’t exist, would you invent it? Would you go “Baby, this shit we got together, it’s so good we gotta get the government in on this shit. We can’t just share this commitment ‘tweenst us. We need judges and lawyers involved in this shit, baby. It’s hot!”
- (on his ex-wife’s abortion) Has anyone had an abortion? You’re all rapt with attention now, all of a sudden, so I assume you all have. It’s a fucking horrible thing to go through. And not horrible in that “Oh, it’s a living thing, what are we doing?” Fuck the living thing. A genital wart is a living thing. If it’s gonna irritate you for life, burn it off, right? Bladder cancer is alive and growing like a baby in you. If you try to remove that I’ll protest you and say “stop playing god.” … Before you actually go and get all quiet and pissy, like I’m some asshole about this, keep in mind I’m just telling you the parts that I think are funny. You don’t know the reason we had… The reason we had an abortion was… It wasn’t because… It wasn’t frivolous. We didn’t have an abortion because we weren’t ready to take care of a child, we were irresponsible, or because we’re not financially capable of taking… The reason we had it is ’cause I really wanted to see what it felt like to kill a baby.
- (on people who join the military) As long as the people who kinda wanna go kill other people are going to go kill other people who kinda wanna go kill other people, you’re killing all the right people and opening up all the best parking spaces.
- You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.
- They say if you give a man a fish, he’ll eat for a day, but if you teach a man to fish…. then he’s gotta get a fishing license, but he doesn’t have any money. So he’s got to get a job and get into the social security system and pay taxes, and now you’re gonna audit the poor cocksucker, cuz’ he’s not really good with math. So he’ll pull the IRS van up to your house, and he’ll take all your shit. He’ll take your black velvet Elvis and your Batman toothbrush, and your penis pump, and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the one, cuz’ you were just worried about eating a fucking fish, and you couldn’t even cook the fish cuz’ you needed a permit for an open flame. Then the health department is going to start asking you a lot of questions about where are you going to dump the scales and the guts. ‘This is not a sanitary environment’, and ladies and gentlemen if you get sick of it all at the end of the day… not even legal to kill yourself in this country. Thanks again John Ashcroft you weird bible addict, can’t even handle your own drug. You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it, and you wave a flag celebrating it. [audience member]: Hey, don’t hold back! [Doug]: You got an argument? [am] No, keep goin’!..The only true freedom you find, is when you realize and come to terms with the fact that you are completely and unapologetically fucked, and then you are free to float around the system.
- [in regards to the subway breakfast sandwich not being available after 11AM] I’ll go “Uh, hey man, uh gimme an egg and cheese”, and the kid will say, “I’m sorry sir, it’s after 11, we put all that stuff, away. You didn’t put it away…it’s in the second green cabinet, it’s right there. This place is as big as a photo-mat, there is no away in the building, you don’t own away. There’s no brinks truck that pulls up at 11:02 and yanks out the eggs under armed guard.
- Mutations are exciting. They try to fix ‘em when they come out. Did you see the two-headed baby they killed last month when they tried to cut it apart? That was hilarious!
- New York is baffling in the [sense that] it’s a city that prides itself on being an absolute shithole. It’s like — there’s nothing good here, people are pround of that, they’re happy, “Oh, it’s overpriced, and it’s overpopulated, and it stinks like piss, and comics! — comics film specials here!” And they all open with a joke about, “Yeah, you spend 8 thousand dollars a month for 9 square feet!” And you go, “Well, why do you fucking live here?” Why do people stay here?.. But unfortunately, this is where comedy works — where people are the most miserable. Like, I’d rather be filming a special on a beach in Costa Rica in a tiki bar right now, but they don’t need comedians, they’re already smiling, they’re already happy — naturally! So that’s why I’m doing a special here — cause it’s the last fucking place I wanna be.
- Pussy really is the main motivating factor in all of humankind. It really is. It’s what gets shit built. [reacting to applause from the audience:] I’m not ‘yeah’ for pussy. This is a flaw in the system, don’t clap for it! [I'm] saying, they know that is a catalyst, and that’s why religion and government have to control supply and demand of pussy. And they do that by heaping shame upon you should you want to give away more than the ‘federally allocated recommended daily allowance of pussy’. “Oh, she wants to suck more than one dick?! Whore! Shun your natural instinct, whore, or nothing’ll get built.” — It comes down to production, it really does. They have to keep that pussy like a dangling carrot, something that’s hard to get so he keeps running on the treadmill, building more shit, sending out more boxes to the dollar store, pointless shit that noone needs. — That’s why cocaine is illegal: It makes pussy too easy to get.
- Jesus died for your sins. I’m doing it for your mere entertainment dollar.
- Why would you die for someone’s sins? Your sins are the only thing interesting about you you dreary, bleak motherfuckers.
- I’m kinda out of shit. Not in this set, I mean I have some stuff I put on paper. But in the long term, I think I’m outta shit. [I'm] fucking cannibalizing my own— seventeen years, how much more do you have to say? If I die soon, don’t ever say I died too young. [...] Everytime an artist dies young- Kurt Cobain, or whatever, there’s always the people “It’s so sad, he had so much more to give.” — How do you know? Maybe he was out of shit. How do you know? He’s done. He got all the money, he did all the drugs, he fucked all your holes. And that’s the American Dream, and when you’re done with that you go “Oh, that’s why they call it a dream. — It’s bullshit, I’m still empty.” And he cashed out. How do you what any artist had left? How do you know if Jimi Hendrix hadn’t had died he wouldn’t have wound up doing Superbowl half-time duets with Elton John right now?
- Nationalism does nothing but teach you how to hate people that you never met. And all of a sudden you take pride in accomplishments you had no part in whatsoever, and you brag about- and the Americans’ll go “Fuck the French! Fuck the French, if we hadn’t had saved their ass in two World Wars, they’d be speakin’ German right now!” And you go, “Oh, was that us?” Was that me and you, Tommy, we saved the French? Jesus! I know I blacked out a little bit after that fourth shot of Jägermeister last night, but I don’t remember… I know we went through the Wendy’s drive-thru to get one of them “Freschetta” sandwiches that looked so alluring on the commercial, but then we ordered it and realized we had no money, and we had to ditch out before the second window, and those douchebags in line behind us with the bass music probably got our order and we laughed about that. But I don’t remember savin’ the French. At all! I went through the last ten calls on my cell phone and there’s nothin’ incoming or outgoing to the French, lookin’ for muscle on a project! I checked my pants, there’s no mud stains on the knees from where we were garroting Krauts in the trenches at Verdun. I think “we” didn’t do anything but watch sports bloopers while we got hammered. I think “we” should shut the fuck up!
- At least black people knew when they were slave’s, you remain clueless.
- Wanting more. Having your cake or eating your cake are fine. Not even wanting cake is where you get fucked.
- When asked, “What would constitute ‘complete happiness’ to Doug Stanhope (you)?” Doug Stanhope interview MarkPrindle.com, 2007
- Whether the reasoning for these laws is insurance costs, more opportunities for random taxation through traffic stops, curbing lost production or any other justification that could be offered, the bottom line is that it isn’t governments place. You own your body. No legislation should infringe on that.
- On legislation against drug use, driving without a seatbelt, and motorcycling without a helmet.
- The word addiction is used far too liberally in our society and I shy away from it. If I have any addiction, it would be nicotine. I would say alcohol is more of a compulsive habit for me. I have used different narcotics for roughly 20 years and I have always used them socially, sporadically and usually sparingly. I use cocaine occasionally and sometimes medicinally – before a third show Saturday, a bump of coke can make the difference between a strong performance and just phoning it in – and I’ve never developed any type of habit, never craved it the next day. I will use hallucinogens a few times a year as well, always in a safe environment. So far as an “early grave,” I’m more concerned with quality of life. No sense in having a mint condition classic car if you’re afraid to take it out of the garage. I look as sadly at people awash in hand-sanitizer and surgical maks in elevators as they might see me when I’m pouring booze down my head on stage.
- On his drug use
- I’d love to spill a lot of specifics about free trade or habeus corpus, or the founding fathers, etc and the like but I’m really not that bright. All my reasons would be selfish ones – and rightfully so as it seems that a lot of other people don’t seem to give a shit about personal liberties. I’d like to have built my deck and studio without some local building inspector walking around my property like a prison search telling me that I need to have a smaller handrail on the stairs that children can grip – even though I hate children and wouldn’t let them in my house. I’d like to do mushrooms in Death Valley without the paranoia of federal park rangers killing my journey. I’d like to be a small business person without having to be a full-time accountant to appease the IRS. I’d like to wear shoes with laces in the airport. I could go on
- When asked what he would like to accomplish as President